If you struggle with backside weight gain, an energy imbalance is to blame. Your body needs a specific amount of calories daily, depending on your age, gender and activity level. When you consume more calories than your body needs, the result is weight gain all over your body, including the backside. Getting rid of a big butt requires eating a diet low in calories and increasing your activity level.
Eat a healthy diet. Eating low-calorie foods helps you lose backside fat quicker. Focus on eating foods that are low in calories and high in volume, recommends the Mayo Clinic website. Fruits and vegetables are good options because they are high in volume, water content and fiber, helping you feel full longer. Whole-grain foods, such as whole-wheat pasta, whole-grain bread and oatmeal are a few more options. Eat low-fat dairy and lean protein sources. Avoid processed snacks and junk food, opting for healthy snacks like popcorn, nuts, or homemade baked goods with little sugar.
Select special foods that promote fat loss. Boosting your omega-3 fatty acid intake positively affects your metabolism, according to Fitness magazine. Flaxseed, walnuts, salmon and tuna are a few foods rich in omega-3 fatty acids. Also, eating an egg a day can promote weight loss, if you don’t struggle with high cholesterol. Eggs help you feel satisfied longer and reduce your risk of overeating later in the day. Eating soy products might also promote quicker fat loss. Certain products made from whole soybeans, such as soy milk, soy cheese and soy yogurt are most effective.
Plan daily cardio sessions. Cardio activity is important to burning fat all over your body, including your glutes. If you’re new to exercise, start out with moderate activities, such as walking or biking. As your strength improves, burn more backside fat with intense activities, such as jogging, running, rollerblading or playing racquetball. Aim to complete at least 30 minutes of cardio activity daily for fat loss, recommends the Mayo Clinic website. Choose activities that you enjoy to make exercise less of a chore.
Complete a minimum of two glute toning sessions weekly to create a trimmer backside. Workouts need to last about 20 to 30 minutes. The plie is an exercise that targets your glutes. Start with your feet separated a little wider than shoulder-width apart. Bring your arms in front of your body to shoulder height, and lower into a squat position. Keep your weight on the heels and don’t allow your knees to extend over your ankles. Slowly come back to starting position while squeezing your glutes and thighs. Complete eight to 12 repetitions of this exercise during your workout.
- Another strength training exercise for toning your backside is dumbbell squats. Hold 8 to 10 lb. dumbbells in front of your thighs. Squat down, as if you’re sitting in a chair, keeping your weight on your heels. Squeeze your glute muscles and return to your starting position. Complete 15 to 20 repetitions during your workout session.
- Discuss a new exercise and diet plan with your doctor, who can assist with meeting your backside fat loss goals.
- Mayo Clinic: Energy Density and Weight Lossrel="nofollow"
- Fitness: The 10 Best Foods for Flat Absrel="nofollow"
- Fitness: Our Top 10 Exercises to Tone your Buttrel="nofollow"
- Mayo Clinic: Exercise for Weight Lossrel="nofollow"
- U.S. Department of Health and Human Services: Statistics Related to Overweight and Obesityrel="nofollow"
- MedlinePlus: Tips for Losing Weightrel="nofollow"
- JTPhoto/Brand X Pictures/Getty Images
This article reflects the views of the writer and does not necessarily reflect the views of Jillian Michaels or JillianMichaels.com.