Nutrition Facts on Orange Bell Peppers

by Melodie Anne Google

About Melodie Anne

Melodie Anne Coffman specializes in overall wellness, with particular interests in women's health and personal defense. She holds a master's degree in food science and human nutrition and is a certified instructor through the NRA. Coffman is pursuing her personal trainer certification in 2015.

X

Orange bell peppers are a sweet refreshing variety of bell pepper. Toss them in your favorite stir fry, lay julienned slices on top of your lunch salad, or snack on orange bell pepper wedges with a low-fat ranch dressing. Orange veggies provide several key antioxidants and nutrients that are unique to this color.

Caloric Breakdown

Orange bell peppers are naturally low in calories. A 1/2-cup serving provides about 45 calories. Most of the calories, about 80 percent, come from carbohydrates. The remaining 20 percent are split between protein and fat.

Zeaxanthin

Zeaxanthin is a type of carotenoid in orange bell peppers that promotes eye health. It's especially important in the prevention of age-related macular degeneration, according to the American Optometric Association. Adding zeaxanthin-rich orange bell peppers to your diet provides plenty of this essential carotenoid and helps to keep your vision optimal as you age.

Beta-Carotene

Orange bell peppers are full of an antioxidant called beta-carotene. Antioxidants ward off harmful free radicals that damage healthy cells. An abundance of free radicals in your system increases oxidation, thus boosting your risk of developing chronic illnesses, such as heart disease and certain cancers.

Vitamin C

Orange bell peppers are an excellent source of vitamin C. Your body does not store vitamin C and excretes any excess, so it is important to get it in your diet everyday. Vitamin C, like beta-carotene, has antioxidant properties and helps protect your cells. Vitamin C's best-known function is boosting the immune system. You also need vitamin C to make collagen, the main structural component of veins, arteries and cell walls. To support these functions, women need 75 milligrams of vitamin C each day, according to the Office of Dietary Supplements. A half-cup serving of julienned orange bell pepper has more than 300 percent of your daily vitamin C requirement.

Fiber

Eating orange bell peppers is an easy way to boost your daily fiber intake. For a healthy digestive system, women need 25 grams of fiber on a daily basis, according to the Linus Pauling Institute. Each 1/2-cup serving of orange bell peppers has about 1.5 grams of dietary fiber.

Photo Credits:

  • Hemera Technologies/PhotoObjects.net/Getty Images

This article reflects the views of the writer and does not necessarily reflect the views of Jillian Michaels or JillianMichaels.com.