Everything you need to lose weight can be found in your own home. In 10 days, you can safely lose 2 to 3 pounds; any more than that in such a short time means you probably have lost water weight and will just as quickly regain it. Ten days should be enough time to adopt new habits for continuing to lose weight steadily or to maintain your weight loss.
Rid your home of junk food. "You can't eat what's not there," says Dr. Phil McGraw, author of "The Ultimate Weight Solution." Throw away all high-calorie, high-sugar, salty and fatty foods. Most people overeat and consume more calories than needed because food is available and accessible -- not because of hunger. Clean out the entire house, not just the kitchen.
Burn more calories than you consume. You must create a 3,500-calorie deficit to lose a pound in a week. Because you only have 10 days, cut at least 500 calories from your diet and burn at least 500 calories through physical activity every day to lose approximately 2 pounds. Boost your amount of physical activity if you already follow a low-calorie diet. According to the American College of Sports Medicine, women should eat at least 1,200 calories a day and men should consume at least 1,800 calories.
Do at least 30 minutes of cardiovascular activity every day. Make your home part of this routine: run up and down the stairs, run around the house, use exercise DVDs, jump rope or jog in place. If you don't have an hour, exercise in smaller sessions throughout the day -- 15 minutes twice a day or 10 minutes three times a day. According to the American College of Sports Medicine, you may have to increase your physical activity to 250 minutes per week for the necessary weight loss.
Use calisthenics, such as push-ups, sit-ups or lunges, to gain muscle strength. According to the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention, strength training boosts your metabolism by 15 percent. Calisthenics are a form of muscular strength and endurance training that can be done without equipment in your home, every day and multiple times a day, according to the Army Study Guide. By using your own body weight, you will avoid muscle hypertrophy, an increase in muscle size that can cause weight gain instead of weight loss.
Make your chores more physical. For example, cut the grass with a push lawnmower, scrub the floors instead of using a mop, or hand-wash the dishes, clothes or your car. According to the U.S Department of Health and Human Services, cleaning the house for two hours and 35 minutes burns more than 500 calories, depending on your weight. Every little bit of calories burned will help you lose weight in 10 days.
- Consult your doctor before beginning a weight-loss regimen, especially if you have injuries or health conditions.
- The Ultimate Weight Solution; Phil McGraw
- American College of Sports Medicine: Metabolism is Modifiable with the Right Lifestyle Changesrel="nofollow"
- American College of Sports Medicine: ACSM Position Stand on Physical Activity and Weight Loss Now Availablerel="nofollow"
- Centers for Disease Control and Prevention: Physical Activity: Why Strength Trainingrel="nofollow"
- The Army Study Guide: Calisthenics--Muscular Strength and Endurance Trainingrel="nofollow"
- U.S. Department of Health and Human Services: We Can! Energize Our Familiesrel="nofollow"
- Woman cleaning the house. image by maron from Fotolia.com
This article reflects the views of the writer and does not necessarily reflect the views of Jillian Michaels or JillianMichaels.com.